WASHINGTON, June. 1, 2018 – Supermercado Selectos, a San Sebastián, Puerto Rico firm, is recalling an undetermined amount of various raw, frozen beef, pork and poultry products that were produced without the benefit of federal inspection, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The raw, frozen beef, pork, chicken and turkey items were produced on various dates from August 2017 to May 31, 2018. The following products are subject to recall: [View Label (PDF only)]
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped packages containing ground beef labeled “Selectos DGA CARNE DE RES MOLIDA USDA.”
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped tray packages containing beef for stew labeled “Selectos DGA CARNE DE RES PARA GUISAR USDA.”
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped tray packages containing lean pork for stew labeled “Selectos DGA MASITAS DE CERDO USDA.”
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped tray packages containing boneless pork chops labeled “Selectos DGA CHULETAS DESHUESADAS USDA.”
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped tray packages containing boneless chicken thighs labeled “Selectos DGA CADERAS DE POLLO DESHUESDAS USDA.”
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped tray packages containing turkey for stew labeled “Selectos DGA MASITAS DE PAVO USDA.”
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped packages containing chicken fajitas labeled “Selectos DGA FAJITAS DE POLLO USDA.”
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped tray packages containing beef cubed steak labeled “SELECTOS SAN SEBASTIAN DGA BIFTEC US.”
• Varying 1-lb to 2-lb weights of plastic-wrapped tray packages containing beef pepper steak labeled “Selectos DGA PEPPER STEAK USDA SOUTHERN RIVER.”
Supermercado Selectos shipped the items to DGA Food Service, LLC, who further distributed the items to Head Start Child and Adult Care Food Programs in Puerto Rico.
USDA provides reimbursement for meals served in Head Start through the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP); however, these products were purchased commercially. These meat and poultry products were not provided or purchased by USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service.
The problem was first discovered during routine inspection by FSIS investigators on May 23, 2018. There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an illness should contact a health care provider.
FSIS is concerned that some product may be frozen and in consumers’ refrigerators or freezers. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.
Consumers and members of the media with questions about the recall can contact David Crespo, General Manager, Supermercados Selecto at (787) 280-4550.
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.