Malcolm Meats, a Northwood, Ohio, establishment is recalling approximately 4,530 pounds of various marinated beef products because of misbranding and undeclared allergens. The products contain known allergens, wheat and soy, which are not declared on the label, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The products subject to recall include: [View Labels (PDF Only)]
- 10-lb cases containing 16, 10-ounce packages of “STEAK SIRLOIN ANG CC AUSSIE H-CH,” with the identifying case code of “6778708.”
- 10-lb cases containing 20, 8-ounce packages of “STEAK SIRLOIN AUSSIE CAB,” with the identifying case code of “0648683.”
- 10-lb cases containing 16, 10-ounce packages of “STEAK SIRLOIN AUSSIE CAB,” with the identifying case code of “0648691.”
- 10.5-lb cases containing 14, 12-ounce packages of “STEAK SIRLOIN AUSSIE CAB,” with the identifying case code of “8415721.”
- 10-lb cases containing 20, 8-ounce packages of “STEAK SIRLOIN CULOTTE CH AUSSIE,” with the identifying case code of “0651299.
The products subject to recall bear the establishment number “EST. 2106” on the case label. These products were produced on various dates prior to April 20, 2011, and were shipped to distribution centers in Ind., Mo., and Ohio, for institutional use.
The problem was discovered by the company during a routine label audit, and may have occurred because wheat and soy were not listed as ingredient components in the marinade seasoning blend used in the product. FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks (including at restaurants) to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and to ensure that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers with questions about the recall should contact the company’s President, Jerry Pasquale at 419-666-0702. Media with questions about the recall should contact Charley Wilson at 281-584-2423.