Parents, this is why ‘warnings like this one‘ are issued to our readers. We regret, however, that only a tiny fraction of parents read these posts and that it sometimes takes a tragedy to motivate a company to recall an obviously dangerous product.
The CPSC has reported than an eight-year-old girl was hospitalized after swallowing loose magnets from a Mag Stix Magnetic Building Set. Extensive surgery was required to remove the magnets and repair the holes that these magnets tore in her intestines.
Just because a toy is fun and makes money, doesn’t mean it is a good idea to allow children to play with them. Warning after warning; incident after incident, and these products are still being sold ?!
Let’s make this crystal clear: Magnets Stick Together. Children (and pets) of all ages stick things in their mouths. If two magnets (or one magnet and any other metal object) are swallowed it can kill your child (or pet). So the next time they start kicking and screaming for the magnet building sets at K-Mart, buy them a set of good ol’ fashioned Legos instead.