In a recent CNN story, it was revealed that at least 13 dogs have died after being fed “a greeny,” which is the top-selling dog treat in America.
The Greenies brand dog treats can become stuck in a dog’s throat or intestine where, according to some veterinarians, they do not break down properly for swallowing or digestion.
Despite the fact that Greenies are marketed and packaged as being easily digested, a veterinarian from Denver, Colorado told CNN “Certainly the ones that we’ve taken out, esophageal or intestinal, that have been in for days are still very hard”.
At least one set of dog owners, Michael Eastwood and wife Jenny Reiff, have filed a lawsuit against Greenies. They will be taking the dog treat company to court for $5 million in New York, blaming Greenies for the death of their dog Burt.