The most common household items are often the most dangerous. Stoves, clothes dryers, electric blankets – the list is endless. Here are three products that you may have in their homes and use on a daily basis without realizing the dangers.
Air Fresheners and Scented Cleaning Products
Many air fresheners and cleaning products can release toxic levels of pollutants that are linked to cancer. A study by the University of California at Berkley found that many of the products they tested contained ethylene-based glycol ethers and/or terpenes. Terpenes are found in pine, lemon, and orange oils and are nontoxic on their own, but become toxic when they combine with ozone.
These products should only be used in well ventilated areas. You’ll need to rethink those lengthy sessions of shower stall cleaning. Terpene-containing products should not be used on days when outdoor ozone is high, even with good ventilation.
No, it’s not the programs you have to worry about, it’s the device itself. Both widescreen and older style TV’s can tip over injuring or killing your child. According to SafeKids.org, every 45 minutes a child goes to the ER because of a TV tip over and every three weeks a TV tip over kills a child.
Make sure your TV is anchored to the wall or the piece of furniture it sits on. If on a piece of furniture, the furniture should be anchored to the wall.
Extension cords are a leading cause of fires in the U.S. They become dangerous when they are damaged, overloaded, or used improperly. Extension cords should never be run under carpets.
Make sure you are not using an indoor-only extension cord outside. Check the load rating to be sure you are not overloading, and be sure to look for fraying, nicks, and burnt spots in your extension cords.
Leave a Reply