2009-10 MAZDA6 Sedans Recalled Due to… Yellow Sac Spider

2009 Mazda6A little yellow spider is responsible for the recall of 52,000 year-model 2009-2010 MAZDA6 sedans. According to the car maker, the yellow sac spider “may weave a web in the evaporative canister vent line and this may cause a restriction of the line.” A restriction in the evaporative canister vent line could prevent air from getting into the gas tank, resulting in a crack in the gas tank that could cause a fire.

The “yellow sac spider” (Cheiracanthium Inclusum) probably accounts for more spider bites than any the spider, and are indigenous to much of the United States. According to Wikipedia, “The bite of these spiders is believed to be venomous to humans but rarely produces more than local symptoms.”

But enough about the spider – what about your car! There have already been at least 20 reported cases of this spider infesting Mazda 6 vehicles, and all have been 4-cylinders so far. Although no fires have been reported at this time, this remains a real possibility should the spiderweb constrict airflow to the gas tank, as that could cause negative air pressure inside the tank: Gasoline goes out, but air does not come in to replace it. Imagine sucking the air out of a milk carton and how that would cause it to collapse.

2009 and 2010 MAZDA6 owners should contact their nearest dealership to arrange for an inspection. Dealers will install a new spring that will keep spiders from spinning their webs in the vent line.

The Yellow Sac Spider - I Can Haz Mazda?
I Can Haz Mazda?

1. Brenda

I have a 2011 mazda 3, I heard about the recall due to spiders. I constantly notice webs building I my side view mirror. Should I be concerned?

2. Valerie

… I wonder if those spiders are to blame for the blockage in my catalytical converters.. I had to change all 4 when my car almost caught fire (exhaust turned bright red).. then gaz leaked into my engine (had to change that too!)

3. Valerie

I have a 2004 Mazda 6, and in the summer my car is infested with these nasty whittish-yellow spiders! I thought it was due to the amount of trees nearby, but they’re always crawling on the car, and even go between the cracks in my side view mirrors making nests. They go inside too.. almost had an accident since one fell upon my leg while driving! Im going to contact Mazda, and have an inspection.. they better not turn me down since its not a newer model.

4. aks

I have a 2002 protege, i have see this spider a few times, once during oil change the repair man had to scramble before getting bit.

5. Tom

I have four Mazda6 s—one 09 two 10s one 11–best lease anywhere—maybe we should rename the car (Mazda6 Spider)

6. Stewart Knopov

I have a 2004 Mazda 6 and just have a concern. I have a problem with my air conditioning system. It is not blowing any cool air. I have had the entire system checked out. The compressor is fine,there are no leaks in the system, and there is enough freeon also. The techncian said there is a blockage somewhere in the system. Just concerned if there might be a yellow spider somewhere in the cooling sysyem. It was just a thought, you never know where those spiders might be. Thanks Stewart

7. Ryan

Casey, the recall described involves not just the spider, but a specific part that is affected by the spider. If your vehicle does not use that part (apparently a vent line that’s open enough for the spider to get inside and spin its daytime sleeping sac), then there is no need to recall your vehicle. Your local dealership can probably confirm this.

8. jbird

These spiders’ venom have similar necrotic tendencies, as found in the brown recluse, and wolf spider.

9. Casey

I have a 2008 and I have seen spiders in it a couple of times including the yellow spider that is described. Why isn’t my 2008 being recalled as well since it obviously has the spider problem. I’d like to know where they manufactured these cars and how they got them so infested with spiders!!!! The recall needs to be expanded to the 2008.

Does anyone know how to do this?