Rolaids Recall – Johnson & Johnson Recalls Rolaids as McNeil Consumer Healthcare

Softchews from Rolaids RecallAdding to the steady stream of recalls from Johnson & Johnson’s McNeil Consumer Healthcare unit, over 13-million packages of Rolaids have been recalled following complaints of metal and wood particles being found in this popular heartburn medication.

The Rolaids recall affects all lots of Rolaids Extra Strength Softchews, and Extra Strength plus Gas Softchews, as well as Rolaids Multi-Symptom plus Anti-Gas soft chews distributed in the United States.

Also see last month’s recall of Children’s Benadryl, and Junior Strength Motrin.

About

Everett Sizemore is the owner and Editor of US Recall News: http://www.usrecallnews.com. He is dedicated to educating people about consumer safety, social activism and corporate responsibility by bringing information to Americans about the products they use every day.

1. Ruth

R U serious? Rolaids tablets was the best thing on the market. Tums doesn’t do it for me. I ate 6 over a 2 hour period and NO relief. Rolaids soft chews didn’t do it either. The chewable tablets worked every time and I NEVER had to take more than 2 in a single day. Now I’m back to having the need for ROLAIDS. The original. I’ve tried Tums and tried and tried. Yuck! They’re useless. I WANT MY ROLAIDS BACK! I don’t get why people with your intelligence and creative prowess cannot fix the problem. How can you just lay down and drop a product that was so awsome? This is truly a problem. Fix it!

2. Michael Lehner

I want my Rolaids back. This has to be the millionth request, so it is time to just go ahead and get those little tablets back out on the grocer’s shelves.

3. susie craig

I want my rolaids back. What happened? Are you ever going to start making them again?

4. leona

The first time I used the Rolaids soft chew was the best thing I ever did…I kept looking for them & no stores had them…When I did buy them I would buy the whole box…Everyone I introduced them to said they were the most helpful they have ever used and were hooked on them….Now I try many different brands and none can compare the the Rolaids Soft Chew….PLEASE BRING THEM BACK FOR THOSE WHO SUFFER SEVERE HEARTBURN….THEY WORK IN AN INSTANT…

5. maxine

I have to have my rolaids back, just start making thiem again and do not put them on wooden plats please hurry before i die of a busted ulcer and bleed to death

6. Don

My wife is in need of Rolaids Bad!!She suffers from ARD caused by multiple operations and has found, through much trial & error, that Rolaids is the only thing that really helps. We are talking quality of life here, not just discomfort. Please help!!!!

7. Phyllis Herrera

I love Rolaids Soft chews and I want to know where I can buy them! I have never found anything in them to hurt me. Please let me know where I can find them. I hate the hard rolaids or any hard antacid. I promise I will never sue you if I find a piece of wood or whatever in them. They are very small and I chew them slowly enough to know if there is anything that is going to hurt me.
    Thank you for listening and please let me know where I can get some.

8. Frank Bowers

For as long as I can remember, I am now 73, I have used Rolaids without a problem. I would pay 5 dollars for a bottle of 250 today the last one of 250 cost, at Wal-Mart less than 3.00, Tums are like candy and do me little good. I have tried ever thing and rolaids are the only thing that works for me. Does anyone have any idea when they will be back on the shelves, let me know at ( arnoldbowers1@att.net. )
    I purchased a bottle off E Bay but they were very old and did not work to well I am sorry to have paid 10.00 for something that was so out of date, which was my fault for not know the facts before asking.
    BTW there is not generic product out there for me to replace rolaids and I have now tried about 10 or twelve of them HEB. CVS, Safeway, Krogers and several others not one has worked and Tums is like chewing up trash, good thing there is still baking soda and vinegar. Thanks, Frank Bowers.

9. Jennifer

While it is shameful that Johnson & Johnson has allowed these things to happen, I am appalled at the length of time the recall for Rolaids has kept the product off the shelves.

I would love to boycott these products, but I can’t. Instead I have had to resort to hunting down depleted supplies of Rolaids on the Internet, and paying ridiculous prices for scarce boxes of it on eBay. And I’m not the only one. Sure – there are other antacids out there, but I have an allergic reaction to Tums & store brands. Rolaids is what I need – & I’m almost out again. I guess I should be grateful I’m not pregnant right now – if I was I’d be in serious trouble.

• Christy

I am a faithful Rolaids User, but have had to resort to other means. I couldn’t wait any longer for their return. Pepcid complete has been a great substitute. I no longer have to take any other medication for my acid reflux. Go ahead and give pepcid complete a try. You won ‘t be sorry.

10. Expose the Truth

Johnson & Johnson /McNeill Consumer Healthcare is a prime example of corporate corruption, dishonesty and malfeasance. They don’t care one bit about how many people they harm. What may be even worse is the fact that the main media outlets are not reporting the WHOLE story.

A TIMELINE OF THE MCNEIL CONSUMER HEALTHCARE / JOHNSON & JOHNSON RECALLS:

2008: The so-called “phantom recall” took place, in which Johnson & Johnson allegedly hired contractors to pose as customers and buy a certain type of adult Motrin in order to remove the product from store shelves.

November 2009: McNeil recalled five lots of Tylenol Arthritis Pain Caplet 100 count bottles because of an unusual smell or taste. Consumers reported nausea and related symptoms.

December 2009: McNeil expanded the November recall to include all lots of Tylenol Arthritis Pain 100 count.

January 15, 2010: Johnson & Johnson issued a massive recall of over-the-counter drugs because of a moldy smell that has made people sick. The company determined that the odor was caused by the presence of a chemical called 2,4,6-tribromoanisole (TBA).

The FDA said McNeil knew of the problem in early 2008 but made only a limited investigation. Federal regulators criticized the company, saying it didn’t respond to the complaints quickly enough, wasn’t thorough in how it handled the problem and didn’t inform the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) quickly.

The recall includes, but is not limited to:
    • Regular and extra-strength Tylenol
    • Children’s Tylenol
    • Tylenol Children’s Meltaways
    • Tylenol 8 Hour
    • Tylenol Arthritis
    • Tylenol PM
    • Tylenol Extra Strength
    • Children’s Motrin
    • Motrin IB
    • Benadryl
    • Rolaids Antacid
    • Simply Sleep products
    • St. Joseph’s aspirin

The FDA said about 70 people have been either sickened by the odor — including nausea, stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea — or noticed it.

March 31, 2010 – McNeil recalls Zyrtec Itchy Eye Drops

April 30, 2010: McNeil announced that more than 40 types of children’s and infants’ products were voluntarily recalled. Quality issues included the possibility of the medication containing too much of the active ingredient, containing substandard inactive ingredients, or containing tiny particles. The recall included more than 135 million bottles of children’s medication.

May 5, 2010: Additional recalls: Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl and ZYRTEC. The FDA found “serious” problems at the McNeil Consumer Healthcare plant. Raw materials were found to be contaminated with bacteria, but they were used anyway, the agency found. Quality control was lacking. And the company didn’t investigate potential manufacturing mess-ups, even after receiving consumer complaints about medicines contaminated with black particles, the report notes. “The findings are serious,” FDA official Deborah Autor tells the Washington Post. “Consumers should not use these products.”

May 6, 2010 – Philadelphia Public Health Examiner: The FDA has charged that McNeil knew the raw material had known contamination with gram negative organisms [bacteria] yet approved it for use to manufacture several lots of Children’s and Infant’s Tylenol drug products.. . . The FDA also slammed McNeil for its delayed response in handling the presence of a known contaminant in another one of its plants. The products recalled earlier this year were not children’s products. The earlier recall was for Rolaids and Tylenol extra Strength and a third Tylenol product. The complaints that led to these recalls did include three adverse events.

May 6, 2010 – CNNMoney.com — The FDA confirmed that the bacteria found at the Johnson & Johnson plant that produced the recalled children’s medicines was Burkholderia cepacia.

May 28, 2010: Blacksmith Brands, after conferring with the FDA, initiated a voluntary recall of four PediaCare children’s cough and cold products manufactured at the same McNeil Consumer Healthcare plant that was recently shut down because of poor quality manufacturing. Products included in the recall are:

• PediaCare Multi-Symptom Cold
    • PediaCare Long Acting Cough
    • PediaCare Decongestant
    • PediaCare Allergy and Cold

June 15, 2010: McNeil expanded its Jan. 15, 2010, recall to include five more lots of Benadryl and Tylenol that were “inadvertently omitted from the initial recall action.” Congress announced it would investigate.

July 8, 2010: McNeil Consumer Healthcare is now recalling 21 more lots of over-the-counter medicines sold in the U.S., Fiji, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica, including:

• Benadryl Allergy Ultratab Tablets
    • Children’s Tylenol Meltaways Bubblegum
    • Motrin IB Caplets and Tablets
    • Tylenol Extra Strength, EZ Tablets, Cool Caplets, Day & Night
    • Tylenol Rapid Release GelCaps, Tylenol 8 Hr, Tylenol Arthritis, Tylenol PM
    • Tylenol PM Caplets, Geltabs, and Rapid Release Gelcaps
    • Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec, Benadryl

Also, five complaints filed in the U.S. District Court for Northern Illinois against McNeil are seeking class-action status. Consumers accused McNeil of fraud and racketeering for not recalling all of its children’s products and for not adequately reimbursing consumers for their out-of-pocket expenses. . The buyers of those recalled meds are demanding cash refunds–rather than coupons for replacement products–in five suits.

July 16, 2010 – Jere Beasley Report: Rep. Towns, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, says Johnson & Johnson has used delaying tactics in its dealings with the committee and in some instances had provided misinformation. . . The FDA has referred the McNeil case to its office of criminal investigation. http://www.jerebeasleyreport.com/2010/07/drug-maker-fails-to-cooperate/

November 29, 2010 – Johnson & Johnson recalls over 12 million bottles of Mylanta and 85,000 bottles of Alternagel. The bottles failed to note the alcohol content of some flavoring agents.

December 10, 2010 – Johnson & Johnson / McNeil Consumer Healthcare recall more than 13 million packages of Rolaids anti-acid tablets following reports of foreign substances inside the tablets, including bits of wood and metal suspected to be in bottles all over the country.

When will the entire story be exposed? When will J & J be shut down?

TAKE ACTION:

1. CALL AND WRITE TO YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES. Insist they investigate fully and take STRONG action against Johnson and Johnson. You can find your legislators’ contact information here: http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

2. Don’t ever buy any Johnson & Johnson or McNeill Consumer Healthcare and products again! No need to. There are many generic, store-brand, and other private brand alternatives NOT made by McNeil and Johnson & Johnson. Just make sure the manufacturer of the generic or other brand is NOT made by McNeil and Johnson & Johnson.

3. Send the WHOLE story to your local media. Ask why they haven’t investigated and reported on the entire story.

4. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS INFORMATION EVERYWHERE! Please Cross-post to Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.

11. Jake

This is ridiculous! Why can’t Johnson&Johnson, or McNiel healthcare, or whoever the heck is in charge of the over-the-counter medication we give our children get their act straight? There is obviously something seriously wrong at this plant. Fire the plant manager! Fire the safety inspector! Let’s see some accountability people! The Rolaid recall is just the latest. Like the link shows above, this company has recalled shelf after shelf of popular medications this year. WTF is going on over there J&J?